Wednesday, November 5, 2008

WWYD (What Will You Do)?


Last week I had my world rocked by a 3-year-old little boy whose name is not Ben or Jake.

He doesn't have any toys. He only has one shirt. He has nowhere to sleep at night but the floor. He is bruised and bleeding from falling 12 feet through the floor of the structure that is his home. His family has virtually no possessions. And although he is back with his family now, his mother recently sold him for $60 USD to a man who unbeknownst to her was a pimp in the sex trade industry.

This is Michael Angelo, and he is from the Philippines. I learned about this child through the blog of a teammate of my best friend Allison Johnston, who is on her second round of The World Race, a mission organization that sends young people to the poorest nations all over the world for a year. You can see the original blog here:
http://marisabanas.theworldrace.org/?filename=michael-angelo. Along with hundreds of others, Michael Angelo's family lives in a dwelling on top of a cemetery in one of the most poverty-stricken areas of the Philippines, Navatos.

By nature I am a compassionate person, and I've always been very much burdened by human suffering. But never in my life have I been literally brought to my knees by such a story. A friend put it best when she said she was haunted by it. Since I first saw his face, this child has never truly left my mind and heart. My first instinct was to fight to adopt him, but above all I just wanted to do something-- anything -- to make this child's life head in a different direction.

A few days of research and prayer led me to Jane Walker, CEO of the Philippine Christian Foundation/Philippine Community Fund (PCF), which runs the two schools Marisa mentions. The amount of time, energy, and money this agency has poured into the area families is beyond belief. The services -- life-sustaining and long-term-- they offer to improve the quality of life there are too numerous to list here. Jane is originally from the UK and felt she was called to serve here.

My family and I are stepping in to specifically assist Michael Angelo's family, but there are hundreds of other families right behind them that face the same realities. I have felt deep guilt in singling out MA's family, but Jane has assured me their organization believes in making a difference by helping one family at a time.

In addition, in light of economic hard times and the foundation's efforts to build an additional school, PCF is in dire need of financial support, nearly being forced to end its feeding program, among other things. Jane would love to come to the US to speak at churches to fundraise but she cannot afford a plane ticket. She has asked if I would help her book church speakings if she makes it here next year, and I have agreed.

The fact that Michael Angelo-- anyone, for that matter-- lives this kind of life is a tragedy. But the fact that thousands of miles away I was able to know his story and do something about it is a miracle.

I have MA's photo saved as my desktop background, and Jacob saw it yesterday. We've been trying to teach the boys empathy and being grateful and responsible for the blessings (like food, clothes, toys) we have, so this was a real life lesson for him. In the best terms I could, I told him about MA. I again mentioned him during our bedtime prayers, and Jacob had several questions.

"Michael Angelo going to bed right now, too?" Sort of...

"Michael Angelo have a bed?" Not really...

"He sleep outside?" I'm not sure...

"He sleep on the floor? He have a blanket?"


If you're wondering the answers to these questions, too, don't ignore them. If you can't get his picture of out of your head, don't let it go away. If you hear God whispering in your ear, don't tune it out.


Times are hard, yes. Our checkbook reflects that just like yours does. There are starving children everywhere, it's true. The needs of others out there are truly staggering. But look at his face one more time and ask yourself "Why not start here?"
I have never been to this place, but I have heard and read enough to know that there is enough of a reason to start here. I look at my safe, comfortable little life and ask myself "What did I do to deserve these blessings?" .... The question I need to be asking is "What am I going to do with them?"

I don't think my finding out about Micheal Angelo was a coincidence, and I don't think your reading this story is a coincidence either.

PCF's website is http://www.p-c-f.org/ or you can contact Jane's sister Ange directly at ange@p-c-f.org regarding donations or family sponsorship opportunities. This is a very well-established, organized and practical ministry. If you want to make a difference, if you want to put the emotions you're feeling into action, if you just want to do something, start here. This is the real deal.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Sarah. So well put. I am pleading with the Lord for compassionate hearts--our God is mighty to save, indeed.

    ReplyDelete